Wednesday, February 27, 2008

WFB, RIP


William F. Buckley, Jr., 1925-2008



I can't hope to match the pearl-like words that are being strung together today and from now on about the life and career of the fabulous, trailblazing Bill Buckley. But allow me a personal comment on the man and his faith.

A lot of Jewish people were, and remain, resentful and suspicious of the Cathlic Church, and of devout Catholics. There are inarguable reasons rooted in ancient history for this.

William F. Buckley, Jr., was a proud and devout Roman Catholic whose magazine was always informed by a familiar Roman Catholic tilt. The man's transcendent decency and love for his fellow man simply blazed forth whenever you watched him speak, or read his words. I came to conclude that Bill Buckley represented the best and truest teachings of Roman Catholicism, and that I would take those Catholics I encountered as sharing his spirit. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it then appeared to me that a large portion of these people lived up to that high standard.

I hope that my Jewish brethren will do William F. Buckley the honor of extending a friendly and helpful hand to our Catholic comrades, as the late great William F. Buckley so routinely did for us.

No comments: